Sunday, April 29, 2007

feminist Cosby

I've been watching a lot of Cosby reruns on Nick at Nite. Love it.

1. Has everyone noticed how the show engages some sort of awesome feminist issues? Mrs. Huxtable is a strong career woman and she's very obviously passed that on to her daughters, and they can talk about their role as women with both their parents. I like it.
Sandra: You won't let me pump gasoline, but you'll ask me to get you a sandwich? Why is that?
Elvin: That's because pumping gas makes your hands smelly and dirty. Women should not smell like gasoline. They should smell like... sandwiches.
2. I always wanted to be able to dance like they do in the intro. Okay, still do.
3. I have always loved Theo. He's the one. I didn't realize it until I think high school, when I started watching reruns again and got all nervous and giggly when Theo was onscreen.
4. I remember the house from that show like I remember the house I grew up in. Seriously, I think I watched too much TV. I got to watch Cosby with my parents, and I had to go to bed when Cheers came on. I'd hear the theme song and knwo it was time for bed...

I have a great memory about the show from when I was about seven. We were watching TV at my grandparents' condo (their old condo, not the house) and I had gotten to stay up with the big kids and grownups for the first time. We were flipping channels, and the Cosby show came on, and my oldest cousin goes "Oh, I've seen this one. Rudy's sad because she doesn't have boobs yet." I was very impressed by her maturity in saying "boobs" in front of grandpa and everyone, but I think that she was probably in college at the time. (Still, I don't know if I'd say "boobs" at a family gathering, even now.) Anyway, for some reason, I said, "But I want to watch it!" and everyone laughed and said "FRB's in charge of the TV tonight!" I don't know if my cousin was mad or what. Of course, I had also already seen that episode. And I still love reruns.

No comments:

Post a Comment