Sunday, September 19, 2010

"A little faith in many things."

Sharron Angle, following up on her statement that she doesn't believe in rape or incest exceptions in abortion law, said, "I believe that God has a plan and a purpose for each one of our lives and that he can intercede in all kinds of situations. So, we need to have a little faith in many things."

Here's Melissa Harris-Lacewell, Princeton professor, responding on Rachel Maddow.
I'm from a people who really did experience the need to hold on to a God who would see them through difficult times, including generations of black women who in slavery were forced to bear the children of their rapists. And I do believe, because I'm a person of faith, in an interceding God that can help people through difficult circumstances. But I'm also an American who believes that the point of government isn't to make life so hard for half of our citizens that the only force there to help them is God. We, as a government and as a people, deserve and should do better.
Here's the full transcript. Totally worth reading. I NEVER get to hear people acknowledge faith in God in their arguments about liberal politics (outside of God's Politics and those guys, obvs), and of course I'm happy to hear that everything, in good theology, does NOT happen for a reason.

I guess that I'm saying that, whatever your politics, bad things happen. Bad things are bad. And I think that there are different ways to address the bad things that happen to people, but can we all start from the fact that sometimes bad things happen to good people?

No comments:

Post a Comment