Monday, August 16, 2010

Eating like my ancestors.

It's bread from the Bible! So of course I had to buy it.

Ezekiel 4:9 says, "take wheat and barley, and beans and lentils, and millet and spelt; put them in a single vessel and make bread out of them." And then, it turns out that it's a complete protein! (I didn't know about this until I started eating lunch with my health teacher friend, but they are healthy.)

This is so interesting. The Trader Joe's checkout lady said it's eating like my ancestors. (I mean, religious ancestors? Sure.) But I'm always interested in how they knew it was going to be healthy, before all this science. I believe there are combinations in many cultures (rice and beans come to mind) that are also complete proteins. Hang on while I fact-check. (Later edit: Yes. Every successful culture in history has had a complete protein as a part of their diet. I mean, I have no citation for this, but take it for what it's worth.)

No comments:

Post a Comment